The basics of
If you experience occasional heartburn, it may
be time to consider an herbal approach for the
unpredictability that it brings to your day.
What is heartburn?
- Heartburn happens when acid in your digestive system back up into your esophagus.
- This occurs when you swallow and the lower esophageal sphincter does not relax or open properly to let liquid and food flow to your stomach.
- Your healthcare provider can advise you on how to best manage your occasional heartburn symptoms.
- If you experience heartburn frequently, speak with your healthcare provider, as it may be a sign of something serious.
What triggers occasional heartburn?
Certain foods and beverages can bring on symptoms, and these vary by individual. Some of the commonly known triggers include:
- Spicy foods
- Citrus fruits and citrus products
- Fatty and fried food
- Carbonated beverages
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks
- Tomatoes and products that contain tomato
What lifestyle modifications may be helpful if occasional heartburn is experienced?
- Avoiding overeating and large meals
- Avoiding known triggers and risk factors in your diet
- Avoiding lying down within 3-4 hours after a meal
- Avoiding the wearing of clothing that is tight around the waist
- Minimizing stress
- Stopping smoking
- Elevating the head of your bed 4-8 inches
- Talking to your healthcare provider if you are overweight
- Talking to your healthcare provider if you think you are taking medications that may potentiate heartburn